Hope For Women
Women of war-torn African countries are victims of sexual violence, poverty and inequalities that end up having devastating effects on all members of their families. Women’s bodies become battlegrounds, with rape used as a method of warfare to humiliate, dominate or disrupt social ties. The women produce roughly 80% of Africa’s agricultural output, but earn only 10% of income and own one percent of property. Family health depends on the health of the mother, so when women suffer, their families suffer as well. It is not an overstatement to say that the fate of entire populations lies in the hands of their women.
- One of the most upsetting tragedies for women in war-torn countries is the staggering prevalence and brutality of conflict-related sexual violence. Women need the knowledge and confidence to defend themselves and to recover from the physical and emotional abuse.
- Women face cultural and societal barriers that prevent them from gaining economic stability and having access to health care.
- Survivors of war are unaware of their rights in the families and under communal and national law. The vulnerability and responsibilities are further increased by the loss of husbands and livelihoods.
The United Nations is officially acknowledging the distinct impact of armed conflict on women and is stating concrete intentions to advocate for efforts to combat sexual violence. Organizations like Women for Women are providing tangible assistance to empower women to reclaim the lives of their families and communities from the ashes of conflict. To do your part from home, you can support these women with your voice to create awareness and to encourage contributions. A little really goes a long way!
- Donate, Sponsor or Fundraise with Women for Women International.
- Become an Ambassador and create awareness. Use your voice to give the women of Africa a voice, with Women for Women International.
- Create a campus chapter at your college. Find out how to start a chapter here.
About Women for Women International
Women for Women International provides women survivors of war, civil strife and other conflicts with the tools and resources to move from crisis and poverty to stability and self-sufficiency, thereby promoting viable civil societies. They help women go from victim to survivor to active citizen by providing financial aid, job training, rights awareness and leadership education.Currently they are working in these countries: Bosnia & Herzegovina, Democratic Republic of the Congo, South Sudan, Afghanistan, Rwanda, Kosovo, Nigeria and Iraq.
The Women for Women Donations To Date $97.35
Total Letters For A Cause Donations $4474.54
Raise further awareness by adding an embroidery phrase to your clothing
- Hope for Women
- Hope for Africa
Click Here to learn more about Women for Women International